Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Chapter Four

Priscilla and I are back outside of “All Things Kawaii”  “Bye,” Yoshi says waving.
    “Bye Mr. Kawaii! Thank you for the shoot, the food and the games!” Priscilla waves excitedly.
     I don't say anything. What is there to say? Mr. Kawaii wants nothing to do with me. He tells me he likes me only to say that I'm incapable of liking him. Shouldn't that be for me to find out? My eyes start to tear up as I sit in the car. I'm not sad that I'm rejected. I'm angry! I hate it when I cry when I'm angry. Priscilla turns to get into the car. I quickly wipe my eyes and stare out the window, my face turned from Priscilla.
     “I think Mr. Kawaii likes me.” Priscilla says excitedly. I sigh heavily. “Did you see the way he smiled at me? I gave him my phone number, do you think he'll call me?” Priscilla bubbles.
     “Priscilla, Mr. Kawaii doesn't like anybody. He made that very clear to me today.” I say angrily
     “What makes you say that?” Priscilla asks
     “While you were playing your dance game, I was talking to Mr. Kawaii. He told me he thought I was cute, and then he told me I could never like him.” I say exhaling sharply.
     “He told you you were cute?” Priscilla says her voice a cross between disappointment and sadness.
     “Yeah,” I reply.
     “Then why did he ask us both to lunch, and he smiled at me, and he paid for me to play the dance game, and-”
     “He didn't want you to go to lunch, he only wanted to take me, you invited yourself and he didn't want to be rude by telling you no. He paid for your dance game because he wanted to get rid of you so he could talk to me. He probably smiled at you because he was laughing at how ridiculous you look!” I say cutting her off. “Honestly, I don't understand how you can be so blind.” I add
     “Well, I, er,” Priscilla goes silent. She drives her car and we both sit in silence, both in a bad mood. We arrive back at the apartment. I turn on the computer and resume my studies, Priscilla stalks off to her room, to finish her article or cry, I assume. I lose myself in my studies, a welcomed distraction.


     “Pencils down” The test administrator says. I put my pencil down and look up. I smile. It's over I think, no more studying. No more high school drop out comments. Maybe I can get a better job too and I can go to college! I feel relief flooding my body. The GED test is over and I'm confident that I passed. I knew the answer to almost everything. Bright things are in my future, a better job, college and hopefully a better car! I rush out of the building feeling like it's summer break. What will I do with all my free time now when I'm not working, I wonder. Study for college of course! I answer myself. I smile “College,” I say out loud. I love how the word sounds.

     I'm back at the apartment. Lavern is outside, her mail in her hand. “I have an episode on cops,” She says proudly. “I saw them out here.” I reply smiling
    “It'll be on Friday in two week at 7pm.”
    “I'll be sure to watch,” I say “I just finished my GED test!”.
     “Good for you, girl! You be sure and go to college and make something of yourself. You don't want
 to end up like me.” Lavern says shaking her head slightly.
     “I'm going to try.” I reply.
     “Don't try, do.” She says and enters her apartment. For someone with a crazy life, she certainly has some good advice. I enter my apartment.
     “You have a package on the table.” Priscilla says. During the week we both calmed down and we back to being the best of friends.
     “Who from?” I ask
     “I didn't look.” Priscilla says. “Are you going to open it?” She asks
     “Of course!” I say. I begin to open the box it's covered in tape. Once I get the tape off I am able to see what's inside. There's a gas mask, first aid kit, dehydrated food. Water purification tablets. A gun and a utility knife. “What in the...” I begin to ask. There's a note.
     “Shannon, I didn't put my address on the package, because I don't want this to be traced back. Should the end of the world happen I want you to be safe. Please remember to find me when the world end, you know where I'll be.”
     “Who's it from?” Priscilla asks.
     “My mom.” I say. Who else would it be from, I think, Yoshi? Don't be ridiculous.
     “Did your test go well?” Priscilla asks.
     “Yeah,” I say smiling proudly.
     “Want to celebrate?” She asks, smirking.
     “What did you have in mind,” I ask
     “A night out to the club of course. We haven't been in forever!”
     “Sounds great!” I say.



     The music is loud, and fast. There are multicolored lights everywhere. We're at Glitter, one of the best night clubs in the area. The floor sparkles from the glitter specks in the shiny black tiled floor. I've had a few drinks and I'm nicely buzzed. Owen came with us and Priscilla and I dance with him. Priscilla keeps pointing out different guys to me trying to get me to go dance with them. I'm too shy, I'm not drunk enough to put myself out there.. yet. I approach the bar and order a drink. I go to pay for it, and  a person behind me reaches out and pay for my drink. I turn around and there's Yoshi. My mouth pops open. “What are you doing here?” I ask “Are you stalking me?”
     “No, I was already here and I saw you walk towards the bar.” He says smiling at me. I chug my drink “Cool” I say, “You're going to have to do a lot more than buy me a drink to make up for our conversation the last time I saw you,” I say
     “Look,” He says looking down and rubbing the back of his head. “I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you. I was trying to warn you, warn myself. I don't know if you can handle me.” He says
     “Well why don't you let me be the judge of that I say.” I take a step towards the dance floor and I stumble a little bit.
     “How much have you had to drink?” Yoshi asks me.
     “Not enough.” I reply. He grabs my arm and we walk to the dance floor. Yoshi and I dance, Priscilla sees us and comes closer to Yoshi and I. She's dancing on Owen, while I dance on Yoshi. We're dancing and grinding to the music. Then I have to pee. I turn to Yoshi, tell him I'm going to the bathroom and stumble dizzily to the bathroom. I relieve myself and Yoshi is waiting for me outside the bathroom. “You okay?” He asks.
 “Of course I am, I just had to pee.” I say “I need another drink.” I walk towards the bar.
I order and Yoshi pay for my drink and we dance again. We stay at the club drinking and dancing until the club closes. At this point I'm lucky I'm still standing. I'm giggling and playing with Priscilla's hair.
     “Your hair ish sho pretty.” I slur.
     “I'm going to take Shannon back to my place.” Yoshi says. He takes me by the arm and walks me to his car. I smile up at him “I like you,” I say poking his nose. He sits me down, puts my seat belt on me and gets in the driver’s seat. We start to drive off and suddenly I don't feel so well. “I don't feel good,” I say
     “Let me pull over,” Yoshi says but there isn't enough time. I vomit. “Shit,” I hear Yoshi say. I pass out.