Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Story Behind The Story Part Two

     As you all know I'm writing my current book in honor of my cousin, but there is another character who is inspired from a person who I was more of an acquaintance with. This character appears in the book under the name of Danny River. I forget the name of the real person who inspired this character, which is a shame, really because he made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. 

     I have one very strong memory of this man. I went to a home school co-op with him and he was one of I think twelve or almost twelve children in his family. The details really are fuzzy, I was all of 15 or 16 when I watched him play piano for a talent show. I was there with my harp. I remember how good he was, and his expression as he played. He was impressive, which for me is saying something. I'm not easily impressed with musicians, as I've played an instrument since I was 8, and I could see this guy was truly talented. He played an original piece that night. It was the end of his senior year and his future looked bright. You could almost sense what was in store for this incredibly talented man. I remember thinking that I needed to meet him, we could probably talk about music, but I never got the chance. By the end of the night it was time to pack up and go home. 

     I would think back to that night from time to time. I remembered how he embodied his music while he played. My mother was acquainted with his family. It was just a few months after that performance and my mom told me the news. It was the ultimate end of this guys future. There was no more music for him. He joined one of the armed forces, again I'm ashamed I've forgotten which one. He died overseas fighting the War on Terror. Such a great talent, and he was sent home in a body bag like so many others. 

    As I've been writing, that memory of the guy playing the piano at a talent show, only to joined the armed forces and pay the ultimate sacrifice has been coming back to me. I knew that I had to bring his memory back and give him a better ending. In a book he will live on, and his talent will live on the best it can in words. Really, this book holds the story of two lives cut short, but in fiction they live on. I am anxious as I write. I want to do them justice. I want their story to mean something. I want to pay them both a tribute that they deserve. I hope I can pull it off. I hope you all like it, and ultimately them. Because "Danny River" and "Missy Highwater" were both amazing people who deserved more than what they got in life.