Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Chapter One Mr Kawaii

I wake and walk across the room, As I walk I see movement to my right. I jump, what was that? I ask myself, I walk backwards to a door frame, and peer into the dark bathroom, and see the big mirror over the sink. Oh, I relax. It was just my reflection. I reach around the door frame to the light switch on the wall and turn on the light. That's better, I think to myself, Now I don't look so scary.  I must not scare so easily, I must not scare so easily. I chant over and over in my mind.
     I think about what I have to do today, I was going to watch TV all day and maybe study up for my GED, but my much smarter High-school graduate, better paid roommate got a bad case of SARS overnight. She had a meeting today, I'm not fully sure what it was about, but her SARS is so bad she asked me to meet him for me. I had asked her what I should wear, and she told me to just look cute.   
     Cute? I think to myself What do I have that's “cute?” I look through my closet looking for anything that can be considered cute. I find my old school uniform. This will have to do, I think to myself. I get dressed and part my hair into pig tails. I take one last glance in the mirror, give myself and approving nod and leave my bathroom.
    I present myself to my roommate, Priscilla McKormic. “What do you think,” I ask hoping for her approval. 
     Priscilla sputters into a coughing fit “You, (cough) Look (cough cough) So cute! (Hack, hack wheeze.)” Mucus streamed down her nose and flew out of her mouth. I ducked trying to avoid the the assault lest I get SARS too. 
     “Do you really think so? It's just my old school uniform, but it's the only cute thing I have.”
     “You are adorable (sneeze, hack) I just wish I wasn't so sick, (snort) I was looking forward to the meeting with Mr. Kawaii.” As she talked a snot bubble grew out of her right nostril, bursting at the end of her sentence. “I'm such a mess,” she added after the bubble burst.
    “You'll be okay, Nay Nay.” That was my pet name for her, it didn’t make any sense because it had nothing to do with her name, but we've known each other for so long that we just decided to give each other nick names. Nay Nay just so happened to be what I came up with for Priscilla. “I bought sprite, chicken noodle soup and crackers. The sprite is in the fridge, the soup and crackers are on the counter. You'll be able to cook the soup, right?”
    “I'll manage (seal bark), go, you're going to have to leave now or you'll be late to the meeting, do you have the list of questions I gave you?”
    “Yes, Nay Nay, I have them, are you sure this is what you want me to ask Mr. Kawaii?” I asked uncertainly.
     “Yes, Shay Shay, (sneeze) Just stick (sneeze) to them (sneeze, sneeze) and (sneeze) you'll do great (sneeze, sneeze, gasp, hack),” Priscilla reassured.
     “Do you want me to write down his answers?” I asked realizing that I didn't have a notebook or a pen.
     “Here's a recorder, just hit the button with the red circle at the beginning of the meeting.” She tossed the recorder to me, I ducked, not wanting to come in contact with her germs. I grabbed a sanitizing wipe and wiped down the recorder while picking it up off the floor. I glanced at my watch on my left wrist Crap! I'm going to be late! “Bye Nay Nay, I hope you start to feel better!”
     Priscilla, was too busy hacking like a seal, she nodded her head, or maybe it was the hacks making her nod her head, either way I left the door frame of her room, grabbed my purse and walked out the door. Once outside I ran towards my car. It was a pinto, an ancient model. It was badly rusted, no air conditioning, heat, or radio. On the back left wheel instead of a normal tire there was a donut. The tire had gone flat on me, and I didn't have the money to replace it on a high school dropout salary. So far
the donut had lasted me a pretty fair amount. I hope my donut makes it through today. I anxiously thought. In reality I wasn't going far, but you never know with an old beat up car if you'll get where you're going or not.
     I jump into the driver's seat and thrust the screw diver into the start up key hole and turn. Sure anyone could take my car, but who would want a car as awful as mine? It's it's own anti-theft. The car sputters to life, the engine groaning in protest, I grind the transmission into drive and I'm on my way. 
     There were a total of 10 traffic lights on my way to Mr. Kawaii's office. My car died at two of them. That was actually a record for my car. It usually dies more times than that. Perhaps I should have put gas in my car before going.
     I pull up by the curb outside the building. The big letters read “All Things Kawaii.” As I get out of my car I notice a parking meter. I dump my purse upside down looking for quartes to put into the machine. Thankfully I find one quarter, two nickles, and four dimes.” Awesome, I think There goes my life savings. This better be worth it.  I insert the coins into the meter. I get two hours of parking time. I open the glass double doors and walking into the building.
     Inside the floor is squishy, the walls are yellow with pink diagonal stripes, No, you idiot, my inner bitch says, It's pink with yellow diagonal stripes, obviously. I wince at the realization, Maybe I'll ask Mr. Kawaii, I think as I smile. As if Mr. Kawaii will have time for you, he probably won't even see you because you're late, My inner bitch sniffs at me. “Shut up,” I growl “Excuse me?” I hear from across the room.
     My mouth pops open in horror Did I say that out loud? I ask myself, my inner bitch just chuckles at me. Across the room a receptionist stands at a fuchsia desk. “Can I help you,” she asks in a high pitch voice. “Er, Yes, My roommate, Priscilla McKormic has a meeting today with Mr. Kawaii. I'm Shannon Bubble, Priscilla is sick and I'm here to meet with Mr. Kawaii in her place.”
   “Sure, Ms. Bubble, please take the elevator to floor “P.”
    “P,” I ask raising an eyebrow.
    “We use letters instead of numbers, floor “P” happens to be Mr. Kawaii's favorite floor, it's where you'll find his office.” The receptionist says matter-of-factly.
    “Oh,” I reply and make my way towards the elevator. 
    The pattern on the wall continues as I make my way towards the elevator. I push the button for the elevator and the button lights up pink. The doors open and I walk into the elevator and push the “P” button. The button lights up blue. Inside the elevator is a rainbow of color. What kind of place is this? I wonder. Upbeat music plays, it the kind of music that you would associate with a sugar rush. It kind of makes me feel good.
     The doors open and I walk out of the elevator, I look around the room and it's purple. The walls are purple, the floor is squishy and purple, there's a lady at a purple desk dressed in purple. I Look at her as I approach the desk. “I'm Ms. Bubble, here to see Mr. Kawaii, in Ms. McKormic's place. She's sick today.” 
    “Certainly,” The receptionist replied in a high pitch voice. “Please, have a seat,” she said and indicated to the purple bowl chairs behind me. I take a seat in the chair. I feel awkward as I sit in the chair. The design of the chair want me to sit back and embrace being comfortable, but I feel too nervous to allow myself to sit back. I sit on the edge of the chair, so I can get up quickly without embarrassing myself when Mr. Kawaii is ready to see me.
     The receptionist picks up a purple fuzzy phone. Quickly says something, then puts it down. Mr. Kawaii will see you now, Ms. Bubble. Her voice is so high pitched, like a little girl's voice. I stand up, wobble a little bit on the squishy floor and make my way towards the door to Mr. Kawaii's office. I feel so nervous as I put my hands on the eggplant purple door. I push the door and nothing happens, I stare confused at the door. “Pull the door Ms. Bubble,” I hear the receptionist say. I roll my eye, of course I would push when I have to pull, I think. I pull the handle and the door opens. I walk into the office and the purple theme continues. 
    “Ms. Bubble,” Mr. Kawaii's warm voice welcomes me. “How good to meet you.” He walks over and shakes my hand. “Mr. Kawaii,” I nod, as I shake his hand.
     “I'm sorry to hear about Ms. McKormic, she seemed so excited when I told her I would meet with her,” Mr. Kawaii says sympathetically.
     “She was upset this morning that she couldn't be here. She really was looking forward to meeting with you,” I state.
     “Tell her I wish her well, please,” Mr. Kawaii says.
      “I will. Shall we start?” I ask raising my eyebrow.
     “Of course, have a seat.” Mr. Kawaii indicates a plush chair by his desk. I sit. He walks across to his chair behind the desk, leans back and puts his feet on the desk.
     I take a moment to really look at Mr. Kawaii. He's taller than me, but average height. His skin is olive tone and his hair is jet black. Some of his hair hangs down over one eye the other half is short and spiked. He isn't unattractive. His shirt is bright orange and he wears black pants. “Do you mind if I record our conversation Mr. Kawaii,” I ask.
    “No, not at all Ms. Bubble,” he smiles as he says my name. His smile dazzles me and I feel warm inside. Wow, I think.  I push the red button on the recorder, and place it on the desk. I sift through my purse and claim the paper of questions Nay Nay, wants me to ask. I glance down the list. Whoa, some of these are personal, oh well, if that's what she wants then that's what she wants. I tell myself.
     “Why do you call your business All Things Kawaii?” I ask
      “Well, for starters, my last name is Kawaii, but there's more to it than that. As a child I loved my stuffed teddy, I loved how soft a squishy he was. He was my absolute beloved favorite toy. My parents knew this and they gave me lots of soft, squishy cute things. I loved them all and I decided to make it my business. I want to make Kawaii mean cute, adorable, lovely. It is a passion of mine. I want people to be happy, so it's my life's work. Bringing happiness and cute to the world.”
       “So you want to embody cute?” I asked confused
        “Yes, did you know that Kawaii literally mean cute Ms. Bubble?”
        “No, I didn't,” I reply looking down at the list feeling embarrassed. How did I not know that? I wonder. “So, because you like things so Kawaii are you gay, Mr. Kawaii?”
        “No, what's cute about a Penis? I have one, and I do like my Penis, but I don't find other penises to be Kawaii.” Mr. Kawaii stares intensely at me. I blush a shade darker.
        “I-I'm sorry Mr. Kawaii,” I stammer.
        “It's okay, I don't really mind such questions, please continue,” Mr. Kawaii says with a amused look on his face.
        “Do you have a girlfriend?” What?!? My eyes grow wide staring at the question I just asked my Kawaii.
        “Why, do you want to be my girlfriend?” Mr. Kawaii says with a dazzling smile.
        “Um, er, No, I mean, Yes, I mean. I don't know Mr. Kawaii; I don't know you that well. I'm sorry I'm asking from this list of questions that Ms. McKormic gave me and...” I stammer.
        Mr Kawaii holds up his hand. “I was joking Ms. Bubble,” He interrupts. He starts laughing. His laugh is full and hearty. I feel myself relax and I begin to laugh with him.
        “May I see the list?” He asks holding out his hand.  I hand the list to him and he looks at the questions. “No, No, No, Yes, I'll have to think about it, and Yes.” He replies simply. “Do you have any questions Ms. Bubble?” I blush a little and decide to ask him.
      “Yes, just one.” Mr Kawaii leans forward in his chair. “The wall in the lobby, when I came in, Is it
yellow with pink diagonal stripes or pink with yellow diagonal stripes?” I nervously ask.
       “I never thought about it like that. I always thought it was neither, I thought I was yellow and pink diagonal stripes.” He replied arching his eyebrow.
       “Oh,” I say, “That never occurred to me.”
       “It is interesting to think about,” he says his voice sounding far off. “Let me see you out.” He get up and walks over to me. He takes my hand helping me up, for witch I was thankful, the floor in his office is squishier than in the lobby. He opens the door for me and walks me over to the elevator.
     “I enjoyed our meeting Ms. Bubble.” He says wearing his dazzling smile
     “It was nice meeting you,” I politely reply. The elevator doors open and I step inside.
     “Bye, Ms. Bubble.”
     “Bye, Mr. Kawaii.” The elevator doors close. I look at my watch, I have an hour and fifteen minutes left on the meter. I exit the elevator and then the lobby. Across the street is a fast food restaurant. My stomach growls as I look hungrily at the joint. After that meeting I needed to eat and I knew exactly what I wanted. A double burger with bacon and cheese, and get the chili cheese fries, and a berry slushy. My inner fatty drools. Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to order, I agree.